As a vegetarian who has never eaten chicken, there's something about walking by a shawarma stand that always had me intrigued. The aroma of the marinated chicken being cooked slowly smells delicious, but of course I could never bring myself to eat it. But when I recently discovered that Maggi's Shawarma mix creates a marinade that is completely vegetarian, my creative juices started flowing (pun intended).
Jackfruit is one of the most versatile ingredients when it comes to vegetarian cooking, as the denseness of this exotic vegetable makes it the perfect ingredient to use as a meat replacement. So I had a brainwave - why not make a veggie shawarma using Jackfruit and Maggi's Shawarma mix? To my excitement, it turned out to be pretty good! Try it for yourself...
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 500g jackfruit
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 packet MAGGI Shawarma Mix
- pita bread
- Preheat the oven to 200℃/390℉.
- In a pot, cover the jackfruit with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix yogurt, olive oil, onion, tomato, and Maggi Shawarma mix in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add the cooked jackfruit and mix until the jackfruit is thoroughly coated with the shawarma mix.
- Place the jackfruit shawarma mixture in a baking dish.
- Bake at 200℃/390℉ for 30 minutes.
- To assemble: make a pita bread pocket, spread tahini sauce, and add the jackfruit shawarma mix, pickles, and parsley.
- Roll into a wrap, serve and enjoy!
Never miss a post from VeggieBuzz!
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest VeggieBuzz content delivered right to your inbox.