14 Ways That Vegetables Have Become Comfort Food
An external study on Pinterest searches that was conducted in the summer of last year saw a staggering 336% increase of the word “veggies” alongside searches for comfort food. Meanwhile searches and pins for traditional comfort food dishes such as lasagna, macaroni and stroganoff plummeted 69%, 55% and 50%, respectively. Alright Internet, you have spoken! Vegetables have become the carb-king of comfort food and here are 14 ways to use veggie alternatives in some of your favourite dishes.
- You're still making sandwiches and burgers with a bread-based burger bun? Get inspiralised.
- Sneak your veggies into your sandwiches in a different way.
- Forget tater tots - broccoli tots are just as fun to eat with way more nutritional value.
- Swap rice for cauliflower in risotto.
- For nachos, trade processed tortilla chips in for super nutritious sweet potatoes
- Swapping out lasagna sheets for eggplant still results in the same comforting cheesy goodness.
- Same rule for sweet potato noodles in mac and cheese. Swac and cheese?
- Let's just get every type of spiralised vegetable involved in this rainbow bowl of dragon noodles!
- What were we saying about spiralised sweet potato buns? Portobello mushroom caps are also a easy, juicy option.
- Step away from the spiralizer because zucchini can also get down for dessert.
- We'd only just masted the art of banana ice-cream when pumpkin ice-cream came along to blow our minds.
- These shoestring carrot fries don't taste too different when dipped in your favourite condiment.
- Genius food hack: turn mushrooms into pizza bases!
- Don't let the name fool you - breadsticks don't need bread! You only really need zucchini.
Never miss a post from VeggieBuzz!
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest VeggieBuzz content delivered right to your inbox.