How To Be a Healthy Vegetarian When Travelling
Almost as common as people’s concerns about protein and calcium is the question of how to eat healthy as a vegetarian on the go! Travelling often wreaks havoc on a healthy diet and it is a bigger challenge for those of us who don’t eat meat (or any animal products).
- Pack some snacks for the plane or car ride. Don’t rely on the airplane to have veggie snacks outside of deep fried potato chips or over-salted nuts. Be prepared and pack your own favourite healthy snacks.
- If you absolutely have to indulge in some airport concession food, Mexican, Asian, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern cuisines are your best friends - just stick to as many whole plant foods as possible.
- Research your destination. Some cities may be more veg-friendly than others but almost everywhere has a plethora of vegetarian friendly restaurants if you just do a little digging.
- Bring a protein powder if you’re worried about finding adequate protein!
- Learn how to say “No meat/chicken/dairy/eggs” in the language of the country you’re visiting. Some cultures have different understanding of what vegetarianism is so simply saying "I’m vegetarian" may not be enough. And you’re only going to get brownie points for learning the local lingo.
Never miss a post from VeggieBuzz!
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest VeggieBuzz content delivered right to your inbox.