How To Work Out On A Vegan Diet
The first rule of working out is making sure you have the right nutrition to fuel you! While people might have the ridiculous misconception of vegans as weak and malnourished, vegans very often take the form of athletes, bodybuilders and fitness freaks. Here are some tips to make sure your nutrition only furthers your fitness aspirations.
1. Fruit and nuts are your new best friend. Whether you want to grab a handful of dried apricots and almonds, spread some peanut butter on a date or an apple, this is your easiest pre-gym snack. You can keep dried fruit and nuts in your bag for an easy on-the-go bite to fuel your workout or recharge your batteries afterwards.
2. Get homemade. Energy bars are designed to give you just that - energy. And while there are plenty of decent vegan energy bars on the market, getting creative in the kitchen will ensure you that nothing's gone into your pre or post-exercise snack but wholesome ingredients. Whip up one of these no bake protein bars for an instant vegan protein hit.
3. Eat a big meal 3 hours before you hit the gym. In an ideal world, you'd eat a big meal 3 hours before your workout. While this isn't always realistic with work schedules and early morning gym sessions, if you can swing it - a breakfast loaded with oats and fruit or a lunch of rice, beans and vegetables is the best way to keep you going later at the gym.
4. Blend it up. When it doubt, blend it. Check out our round-up of our favorite vegan smoothie recipes because nothing is easier and more effective before the gym than a delicious smoothie!
5. Remember your protein! Plant-based protein is a contentious issue that many meat eaters still struggle to get their heads around - but trust us, plant protein is real and you'll need it if you're trying to improve your fitness. Check out this article on how much protein vegetarians actually need to make sure your hitting your daily targets and letting those muscles recover.
Never miss a post from VeggieBuzz!
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest VeggieBuzz content delivered right to your inbox.